the commonest procedure we perform and has the highest percentage of patients left feeling satisfied after the procedure. the commonest procedure used to perform breast enlargement is by using silicone implants to increase the volume of the breast.
for you / not for you
for you if -
1. you have breasts which don’t project as much as you would like
2. you don’t feel confident wearing fitting clothes or those which show cleavage
3. your self confidence is significantly affected in social, professional or sexual circumstances impairing your performance
4. if you have small breasts, which after pregnancy and breast feeding have that shrunken look and have sagged a bit
5. if you have small or average size breasts which sag a bit but, not too much
6. you have constricted breasts, also called ‘snoopy dog’ breasts, which are narrow tuberous breasts. In these cases the breast dimension below the nipples is very less, hence the nipples are at the lower end of the breast giving the breast a narrow funnel like look. These are possibly the most difficult cases for breast enlargement.
not for you if -
1. the sag is too much
2. you have big breasts which sag.
a single day procedure done under general anaesthesia; you can go home the same day involves inserting a silicone implant behind the breast through a cut made in the crease under the breast or at the junction of the areola and the breast.
what happens next
the day of the surgery you can expect to be quite comfortable; there is a feeling of tightness and heaviness in the breasts. the next day and a couple of days after that are more uncomfortable after which things slowly improve. it might take you a week to comfortably resume routine activity. the tight feeling might take a couple of weeks to settle down.
results / non-results
the implant occupies space behind the breast and makes the breast look larger
more obvious is the thrust and projection of the breast, which improve dramatically.
as the skin gets stretched out, if there is a mild sag it improves. usually there is a significant fulness in the breast above the nipple which improves the cleavage.
non - results -
do not expect that your breasts will start looking like those idealized perfect breasts that one sees in pictures and promotional material.
what the procedure does is to add to the fullness, to project the breasts and the nipples forward significantly and tighten the breast skin.
however breasts come in various shapes, and broadly the contours remain. In case of snoopy breasts, special efforts are made to improve the shape of the breasts.
1. improved body image and satisfaction with a boost to self confidence
2. the scar is a fine line placed generally under the breast in the crease and is not visible unless looked for; it is more prominent initially and fades over a few months.
3. capsular contracture is not in anyway harmful although in rare cases it can cause pain or distortion. also rarely it would imply that repeat surgery might be needed. all implants get surrounded by a smooth thin layer called a capsule, which is the body’s reaction to the implant. in some women these capsules can become firmer, thicker and can be felt, which is called capsular contracture
4. most women will experience some numbness over the lower part of the breast and nipple which improves over time but might not completely recover
5. there is a 1-2 % chance that the implants can leak minute amount of silicone gel over a few years. it is not harmful but would need the implants to be changed.
are rare and include
1. infection. will need removal of the implant, but can be reinserted at a later date. is apparent by 4-5 days.
2. hematoma which is bleeding inside the operated area. usually settles down on its own
3. seroma which is a fluid collection. the wound takes a longer time to heal.
good, bad and ugly
2.no foreign material is inserted in the body
3.no question of sequelae and complications like capsular contracture, jel bleed, infection, decreased sensation, seroma, etc.
4.hardly any downtime
not so good -
1.the size increase is not predictable
2.the breast and nipple do not get projected forward much; what improves is the fullness and the roundness
3.in some cases, two or more sittings might be required
4.in some women, it might cause calcification, which basically means that you cannot rely on mammographies in the future and would have to do an mri for imaging the breast.
the ideal patient for autologous fat transfer has flat breasts with slightly loose skin. in essence, this is a suitable method if you are very concerned about the scar and the foreign body and don’t mind a limited result where the projection is not too much.
the right way
1. the way we do it, our capsular contracture rate in the past 13 years is not more than 5% because of the techniques we use
2. we use a special technique to correct constricted breasts.
procedures / non-procedures
involves sucking out fat from certain areas of your body using liposuction techniques and placing this fat in the breasts so as to increase the content and volume of the breast and thus improve the shape.
non - Procedures -
- axillary approach. here, a cut is taken in the armpit to insert the implant. the aim is to avoid a scar on the breast, but believe me, scars are more visible in the armpit than under the breast, and that area usually gives rise to thicker scars. also, the implants undergo rougher handling; so overall it might not be worth it.
- recent reports have emerged of artificial fillers being injected to increase the breast size. i would proceed with caution as fillers generally excite some reaction from the body causing hard nodular fibrous tissue to be laid down.
- no amount of massaging, oils, lotions, hormone injections are going to alter the shape of your breasts
- breast enlargement surgeries do not cause cancer of the breast
- breast enlargement does not in anyway affect future breastfeeding; although breasts might enlarge during breastfeeding causing a loss of tenseness and some sag after breastfeeding is stopped.
breast enlargement without implants
this is also called auto-fat grafting or fat transplant. this procedure is not a replacement for breast augmentation but an alternative to be considered in selected cases. the two procedures need to be compared and the benefits of each weighed so as to make an appropriate decision.